In order to obtain your DD-214, visit Archives.com. From there you can request your DD-214 and other military service records online, by mail, or by fax.
Be sure to review the Instructions section prior to requesting these records. To use the online request, click the “Submit your request ONLINE with eVetRecs” button, and complete the form.
To request these records by mail or fax, click the “Submit your request by MAIL or FAX using the SF-180 form” button. Complete the form and follow the directions at the bottom to send the form based on the branch of service. Directions on how to submit the request are also found in the section titled “How to Submit Requests."
A letter requesting these records may also be sent in lieu of the online, fax, and mail options. The following information is required when submitting a letter requesting military service records:
- The veteran's complete name used while in service
- Service number or social security number
- Branch of service
- Dates of service
- Date and place of birth may also be helpful, especially if the service number is not known
- If the request pertains to a record that may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
- Place of discharge
- Last unit of assignment
- Place of entry into the service, if known