Having a resume in NCWorks Online enables NCWorks Career Center staff and employers to find candidates.
Tip: If you previously completed Background information for your personal profile, the Résumé Builder will incorporate this information so you don’t have to re-enter it. In some steps of the Résumé Builder, you can choose to have the system update your background data if you change or add it on the résumé.
1. From the Quick Menu, click Résumé Builder.
2. Click Create new Résumé. Complete all required fields (*).
3. Enter a Résumé Title.
Tip: To get employers’ attention, create résumé titles that reflect your desired occupation, as the title is a searchable field. Omit personally identifying information in the title.
4. Choose how you want to create your résumé:
- Create a new résumé from scratch – Uses a wizard to complete steps for each résumé section. Requires the most time and effort, but employers are most likely to find this résumé type.
- Use existing résumé – Automatically transfers text from an electronic résumé (Word or PDF format) to build background data. This method saves time, but you will be prompted to complete missing information.
- Duplicate a résumé in our system – Creates a duplicate résumé from a previously created one that you can then modify. This is the quickest method, but requires an existing résumé.
5. Click Next. (Continue clicking Next to proceed from page to page).
6. Specify if you want employers to be able to see your résumé in their candidate searches.
Tip: Selecting ‘Yes’ will give you the greatest visibility, however, if you choose ‘No,’ you can still use your résumé to apply for jobs.
7. Complete the following Employer Searchable entries:
a. Choose your Desired Location, Occupation, and Salary.
b. Create your Desired Job Type profile, indicating your preferences such as full-time/part-time, contracting, shift, willingness to travel or relocate, etc.
Note: When you are done, you can specify if you want that profile information included in your résumé. You can create multiple profiles for use with multiple résumés.
c. Answer the Driver’s License Information and transportation questions.
d. Indicate if you have a Security Clearance or speak any foreign Languages.
8. In the Templates section of the Résumé Builder, you have a few options:
a. Choose an existing template and use as is; click Skip this step, I will use the current template.
b. Choose an existing template and modify its formatting and/or structure; click Save.
Note: If you modify a System Template, you must Save As under a new name.
c. Create a new template from scratch; click New Template.
9. At any time during this process, you can preview the formatting, layout, and section order by clicking the Preview Sample Résumé with this Template link.
Note: The following sections will only display if you checked to include them in the template in step 8.
10. Enter your Education and Training history, Occupational Licenses & Certificates, and Employment History.
a. Specify whether employers may view your salary history and reason for leaving former job(s).
11. Modify your Job Skills and Technical Skills and Tools lists as needed. (Employer Searchable)
12. Enter your Ability Summary, Objective, Honors & Activities, and any Additional Information.
13. Check your Contact information and specify which entries you want to appear on your résumé.
14. Enter your Detailed References and specify if they should appear on your résumé or just be mentioned that they are available on request.
Tip: Best practice is to include neither the list, nor mention of references, on a résumé.
15. Click Finish. From the Résumé review page, you can:
- Score your résumé against best practices to see how it ranks; click Score Now.
- Modify the résumé; click on the underlined section headings.
- Modify the template or any of the sections; click Edit Template.
- Print, copy, email, download, or delete it; links are at the bottom of the page.
16. Click Save Résumé & Return to save the résumé.